Week 2 - bombing a bus stop

Inspired by a pole yarn bomb photo I saw at Yarn Corner on Facebook, I crocheted up a piece with a particular pole in mind. Around the corner from my house there is a bus stop on a main road that I drive past everyday. It's always crowded with people on their way to work or school and being a place I drive past everyday, I plotted I'd be able to see it, possibly see people's reactions and see how long before it was removed. 


I'm not much of a planner at heart so I kind of made up my piece as I went along, experimenting with colours, stitches, size and flower patterns. Here are some pics of the process:




                                               



I'm pleased with my final piece, even tho I reckon that flower pattern was dodgy. It didn't turn out like the the one in the picture attached to the pattern....and I tried twice, hence the double flower. Meh, it's unique! :P I also experimented with some curly bits for effect! 


Tonight after work, I said to my hubby, "I'm gonna go drop my Yarn Bomb tonight before it gets dark." 
"Don't get caught," was his interesting advice. Interesting because I never thought I was doing something wrong to be caught for! Who would catch me? Hmmm...


I gathered my tools and jumped into the car. Hook, Scissors, Needle, Yarn and my piece - At this stage I wasn't sure whether to crochet it to the pole or sew it.





As I parked in a side street, 20 meters from my target, my adrenaline rush began! I walked across the grass to the bus stop, noticing but trying to ignore passers by. I was going to get through this by pretending I was the only one on the planet at that particular moment! 
People walked by, cars drove past, hell, buses even pulled up! But I ignored them, smiling to myself I wrapped the piece around the pole and began to sew from the bottom up. (I quickly discovered that crocheting it to the pole was going to take too long and my hands were trembling ever so slightly)
It was perfectly snug on the pole. I had to stretch it to sew it but that's what you want apparently, for it to stay put and not slide down. I heard myself giggle out loud at the thought of passers by wondering what on earth this woman was doing. 


Done! 







Hehehe, I feel very cheeky! LOL I came home and burst into giggles! 
I drove past it twice before I came home and I can't wait to drive past it again tomorrow. I wonder how long it will stay there? ;) 


I'm not ready to leave a tag on my work yet but I left this small token...I don't know why, it just seemed right.. 


                          A little link to Yarn Corner's How To Guide on Yarn Bombing: freepdfhosting.com

4 comments:

  • Kint | 12 January 2012 at 03:29

    I love it, and I think the flower looks awesome. I finished my slippers today, will blog tomorrow once they have been gifted. Oh and the pointy heel issue is fixed by a bigger foot... so i made them too big for me.

  • dancing cows | 16 January 2012 at 14:58

    wow you have picked up crochet quickly. I love your piece and look forward to following your adventures on yarn bombing. well done!

  • HappiNess | 26 January 2012 at 02:56

    This one is still there! :D I love seeing it every time I drive past. For a few days there last week it was looking a bit squished as it had slid down the pole a tad. Now it seems that someone has stretched it back out again however and it looks as lovely as ever! <3

  • HappiNess | 24 October 2012 at 06:11

    Yup, it's still there! I LOT worse for wear and despite construction going on around it. The shelter isn't even there anymore, as the road is going to be widened, but the pole, with my sad-looking yarn bomb attached, is still there. It's been 9 months! :)

Post a Comment