Week 1 - My first ever Yarn Bomb

I only learned to crochet about 6 months ago, with the help of my friends Kintara and YouTube! Sometime between then and now I became aware of the act of Yarn Bombing.
" Yarn bombing - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yarn bombing, yarnbombing, yarnstorming, guerrilla knitting, urban knitting or graffiti knitting is a type of graffiti or street art that employs colorful displays of knitted or crocheted cloth rather than paint or chalk." 


What an awesome concept! The thing that appeals to me most is the thought of people's reactions to the Yarn Bombs. I have never actually seen one myself but I imagine that if I saw one, and didn't know about Yarn Bombing, it would make me smile, lighten my mood, intrigue me and leave me wondering who? how? when? and why? Umm, I LOVE chochet and I am a bit of an artist at heart and I LOVE to make people smile! Why wouldn't I want to Yarn Bomb!? 
With Christmas out of the way and all my Christmas projects/gifts done and dusted I thought it must be time for me to drop my first Yarn Bomb! 


Here are some of my favourite Yarn Bomb pics: 






OMG How awesome are they!? Ok so I know some of them are HUGE and couldn't be done alone but I am starting small! 


So, whilst visiting Sydney with my friend Kintara, a fellow crocheter, I suggested we Yarn Bomb a park that we had planned to visit.  I created a garland of crochet flowers, made by myself and Kintara in different colours and we planned to wrap it around a tree branch or park bench. Something small to start off with ;) 
Unfortunately that day it rained and we stayed indoors but I really wanted to Bomb Sydney so Plan B was to leave it somewhere at Circular Quay....however....with train delays, public transport confusion, Hungry Jacks and a fire-alarm-water pouring out of the first floor of the train station-fire engines-kind of spaz going on...we forgot! LOL 


Once seated at the airport, waiting for our flight home, I found the garland in my bag just in time, for one last chance to drop our first Yarn Bomb, in Sydney! We looked around for somewhere to put it so that it would be easily seen but not removed too soon. Perfect! A 'switch off mobile phones' sign at gate 56! Not too many people were waiting at the gate yet and I, very impatiently, waited for a cleaner to disappear so I could strike! (LOL) And here it is, our first and humble Yarn Bomb!










Hehe! So proud, I took about a hundred photos and guess what else I captured, A smile, I saw a man smirk at our Bomb, and it was instantly worth it! :D 


In the car on the way home from the Airport, I was inspired by Kintara who has begun a 365 day Granny Square Challenge for 2012 (Read her blog grannysquarechic.blogspot.com ) I decided I would/will do a 52 week Yarn Bomb Challenge, of my own. I'm so excited! This has been week 1, WATCH THIS SPACE! <3

3 comments:

Post a Comment