Bombing a Retirement Village


My retired Mum and Dad do volunteer work at the retirement hostel where my Dad's nearly 90 year old Mother (My Grandmother) lives. My Dad is particularly good at gardening and the hostel had asked him to make a sensory garden for the dementia wing. He has been working very hard to complete it almost single-handedly and it includes plants of different colours, textures and fragrances. It also includes a gazebo which has some bright coloured art and sensory items inside it. My parents asked me to make some 'yarn bombs' to contribute, some bright and colourful pieces, possibly a mobile and gave me a deadline as there was to be an opening ceremony for the new garden. 
I didn't get to go there and bomb it myself but I tagged my piece none the less and gave it to my parents to put up. 


I'll firstly give credit to the blog where I got the idea for this particular piece:
http://willewopsie.blogspot.com.au/ There is no pattern but a picture. I googled to find similar patterns for the individual pieces. 


Now to show you what on earth I am talking about, here it is hanging in my kitchen shortly after it was finished: 


Here are the flowers and leaves as I was making them:

These were a lot of fun to make, I enjoyed making them. So pretty! 


And here they are bombed in the sensory garden gazebo :) 

Recognise these? Yes these STARS  are from my Youth Centre yarn bomb! Unfortunately when I went back a few days later, the stars were ripped off it and lying on the ground! So disappointing! I think I'd rather someone ripped them off and took them home rather than just needlessly destroying them! ...Anyway I collected them up again and put them on a chain and thought they would be better appreciated here at the hostel! :D

enjoy :D 








0 comments:

Post a Comment