Week 7 - Bomb Drops

Forgive me followers for I have sinned. It's been 13 days since my last yarn bomb! (9 days since it's corresponding blog post) :P Well actually I am not late with this yarn bomb and post, my previous bombs have been early, so I had a little time up my sleeve ;) 
This yarn bomb has been in the making for a while. Not because it's taken me that long to make but because I have so many ideas for these bombs that I just work away at them, play around with hooks and yarn for a while and sometimes have trouble deciding which one to do, when! 
So I have been playing around with this one for a while but chose it for this week's yarn bomb and finished it off today. 



The suburb I live in has a lot of these hydrant taps around. 




Not sure why there are so many of them but I have never noticed them (or at least this type) anywhere else. This particular one appealed to me though because of it's location in the middle of a shopping precinct, it's bright red paint and the vibrant colour of the the shrub beneath. However, it was screaming out for something else! :P 
I can't remember when the idea first came to me but at some point I decided I wanted to crochet water droplets and hang them from it. 


You know, there is a bit of a process to this yarn bombing gig. I took this photo about a month ago when I was driving around town looking for ideas of things to yarn bomb. 
First: you find an object to yarn bomb. ie hydrant.
Second: you decide what to bomb it with. ie crochet water drops.
Third: you measure your object (yes you have to actually go and measure before you make!!) and find out how to make said yarn bomb. ie look up patterns or develop your own.
Fourth: you make the bomb (and this could take several evenings, lunch breaks and so on and so forth) 
Fifth: you drop the bomb, aka installation.
And for me there is a Sixth step which is blogging about it. 
This is why one 'yarn bomb' can span several weeks from beginning to end. Which brings me to the realisation that there is also a Seventh step: you drive past it several times a week 'til it's no longer there! I LOVE that bit! 


Three of my 7 yarn bombs are still where they were installed {including today's} Two were installed in places I am not able to see again {airport and train} so I don't know if they are still there. And two were taken down {library and my neighbour's tree} I'm so stoked each time I see the ones that are still up. The bus stop one, my 2nd ever yarn bomb is still there 6 weeks later, even though the bus shelter itself was recently removed!!! Makes me smile every time I drive past it. I hope it makes someone new smile each day!


Anyway, getting back to this weeks yarn bomb....here it is



I went and measured this one day (Third step) so that I could make the red ring which the drops are attached to. I decided on fishing line to attach the drops rather than using yarn so that  it did not distort the shape of the drops at all. 
Hehe, I'm very happy with it and you know what? I consider this one original and a work of art. 
This one is not about making a dull object beautiful and it doesn't say anything much other than water comes out of taps lol but it is "the use of skill and imagination in the creation of aesthetic objects, environments, or experiences that can be shared with others." Britannica Online.

Here's a pic of it before installation for a better understanding of the piece itself. 


*Dedicated to Yvette* Thanks for your comment on last week's post. ;) 



3 comments:

  • HappiNess | 20 February 2012 at 14:11

    My 3-year-old son, "Mummy put the drip-drops on the tap! They're beautiful sitting there!" <3

  • Kint | 22 February 2012 at 04:42

    I so loved this one. Definitely my favourite so far. Although now that i drop stella off every monday to you, i totally smile at the bus stop one. I even got all excited pointing it out to Adam this week.

  • HappiNess | 23 February 2012 at 03:16

    haha cute Kint! I think It's my favourite too.
    Bec Cooper made me Hooking HappiNess tags that match my blog template. Kam printed them out today and I laminated them so I will be tagging my work from now on! :D

Post a Comment